Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My Air Force: Part I

For the past 5 or so years, I’ve served in the United States Air Force. I love my country and what it stands for. My decision to join the military came the day after September 11, 2001 (that’s September 12, 2001 for you liberals). As everyone does, I can remember where I was, what I was doing and who I was talking to when I first heard about the planes hitting the World Trade Center. I can remember setting up an old black and white television at work (I don’t even know where we got it from) and being glued to the screen as the second plane was hitting. I could not believe what I was witnessing live.

I also remember returning home from work and staring intently at the tv screen all night, wondering what was going to happen next. It was at this point, I actually started caring about what was happening in the world. I couldn’t tell you if I was a Democrat or a Republican before September 11, 2001. I cared nothing about politics and didn’t have a clue as to where I stood politically. The local bars I frequented didn’t matter anymore, my car stereo didn’t matter anymore, every thing seemed insignificant to me after seeing the World Trade Centers fall. That was a life-changing day for me. It took 24 hours from the time I saw the heinous terrorist act, to the time I was in the recruiter’s office telling him “Where do I sign?”

My little brother was leaving for Air Force Basic Training that week, but I waited until January of 2002 to take the ASVAB and then another few months to actually leave myself. After having my own apartment for just under two years and not having a care in the world, Basic Training was quite a shock. I can honestly say that I did not enjoy that experience. Almost everyone I talk to now says, “Awe, basic wasn’t that bad, I had a blast.” Well I didn’t, it sucked and was quite unpleasant if you ask me. I learned a lot about myself during that time however and what I am capable of. I know how I handle pressure, how I take someone screaming at me, and what my physical limits are. I know how far someone can push me before I snap and what I do when I snap. I am a better person now that I have gone through that.

No comments: